Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Separation of Bath and Study

This week I was able to pull out all the old tools that I haven't seen since we finished framing the house - the nail gun and compressor, the Skilsaw and the framing square among others. I spent Saturday morning putting together the wall that seperates the study from the bathroom, pantry closet and stairs. Then I took the afternoon to get it plumbed and secured.

All in all it was easier than i expected it to be with only one person, though I did have to phone Pop a couple of times for advice. The wall tuened out very much like I had designed it in Sketchup, and even though the side where the rafters meet the posts on the outside of the house had a tricky angle that I had to cut with a hand saw (the Skilsaw couldn't adjust to cut that steep of an angle), it all came together nicely in the end.

The study wall, with opening for pocket door
Saturday I also started cutting the pieces for the remaining walls, and even pulled out the halogen worklight to extend my day enough to finish what I was doing. WIthout windows in, it gets too dark to work inside before the sun actually goes down outside.

Sunday I started out by finishing the cutting for the remaining walls and assembling them. The trickiest wall is the short one that seperates the bathroom from the pantry closet. I had to use the old carpenters adage of "Cut to fit; Pound into place" as the wall had to be assembled between the other 2 walls and the cutouts in the top piece of the double top plate were pretty tight. In the end though, it fit just fine and it is very sturdy.

All the walls in place, plumbed and secured.
The door to the pantry is going to be a sliding barn door, to add to Wendy's declared Barn Funk style. Note that the large openings are the rough openings for pocket doors, which we have decided to use in the bathroom to save space, given that it is so narrow to begin with.

The door to the bathroom from the kitchen hallway.
The next step is to use the leftover 2" decking we have to put a floor over the pantry closet so we can have a storage closet on top, with a door from the loft. I also need to put in studs from that floor to the rafters so that we can sheathe all the way up in the hallway and study. I'm not sure if we will put a storage space above the bathroom or not yet, though it seems silly not to. We'll have to acce3ss it from the hallway on the main floor with a ladder, but having storage spaces is key.

Not sure yet if I will be able to work next weekend as on Monday I left work early feeling ill, and by time I got home, I went to lie down and got the chills. I ran a fever of 103 ro so overnight amd today Ihave a lower fever of 101 and feel like someone dropped that house on me. Hopefully I will be all better and ready to roll by the weekend though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home