Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rap Yt

Last week I started to mock up the walls we need for the study/bath/closet area of the main floor using Google Sketchup 6 (free). I have to say this program is pretty awesome - you can see the results I got below. Also, I know some folks who work there from the good old Boulder, CO days.

Here is the plan for the walls, let's see how well I follow it
When you are moving large piles of lumber around your mind gets to wandering a bit, since it is not a really mentally stimulating excersise. On the otherhand, there is a great physical excersise regimen based on it:

1) Get yourself a bundle of 2x4s.
2) Place the bundle on one side of your house (or lot if you don't have a house yet)
3) Now move the lumber to the other side of the house (or lot)
4) Repeat once a day until you reach your desired weight.

* You may wish to upgrade to a larger dimension of lumber such as 2x6, 2x8 or 2x10 based on your strength and results you wish to see.

Too bad I can't make iut more complicated - then I could sell it. Anyhow, while moving the last of the lumber, I was looking at the window hole covered with Typar, and saw the Typar logo from the wrong side. From that side it said rapyT (or Rap Yt, or Wrap It if you really strrech your imagination). I had a vision of a bunch of Marketing guys sitting around a table in a conference room, wondering what they would call their house wrap product.

"Well, we could call it WrapIt"
"No, that's way too obvious, besides, it makes me think of Saran Wrap"
"Let's riff on that idea..."
"What if we reverse it?"
"Tiparw? What does that mean? It doesn't even make sense!"
"How about we remove some unneccessary letters? What do you think of Tipar?"
"I think it needs a Y - like Typar."
"Hey, that even sounds kind of like Tyvek! I bet we can get some marketshare based on that!"

OK, maybe I was crazed after moving piles of wood for like 3 weeks, but it seem reasonable at the time...

Once I finished moving the lumber out of the study/bath/closet area of the main floor, I got down to cutting lumber for the main study wall. I got all the pieces cut by time the light gave out on Sunday, and next week I can actually do some construction again.

On another note, Wendy went back to the doctor last week and found she had Bronchitis again. The doc told her she will be good as new in about 2 months, so she is off the job until April or so at this point. I miss having my co-worker and the good times we've had. I had to replace her with my Ryobi battery operated radio, which keeps me entertained and lets me know the time, but isn't very good at lifting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home