Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ready or not, here we plumb!

To all the plumbers we called and never heard back from... Neener, neener, neener! We don't need you!

Pop instructs Sean in the fine art of plumbing DWV line

We called almost 2 handfuls of plumbers to get quotes over the past 2 months. We only ever heard back from one, who got a copy of the floorplan, called to ask a couple of questions, told us he would get us a quote in a couple of days and promptly disappeared.

By the time we got to that point, we knew that we would have to do it ourselves anyhow. I got a couple of books on plumbing from the library, and a copy of the Residential Building Code, and tried to figure it out. Having to do this myself has made a huge mess of my head. I spent a week feeling like the kid who hadn't been to class in weeks and realized today was the final.

OK, so it isn't as simple as it looks in the picture. Fortunately, my father came up to help us out. Having him there was a huge boon. He gave me the confidence to get my hands into it and the guidance to keep me moving in the right direction, and for that and everything else he has done for me in my life, I owe him big. Of course, this is just the beginning of this journey, and I am sure that I will rack up some more debt. Someday I hope I can pay him back in spades.


The good news is that the foundation is up and the forms are off of it! We have walls and footings and windows even!

The foundation, stripped of its forms

The downside is that after today, it looks like there may be a couple of problems. One of the interior footings is off by 9 inches (too close to the center of the house). The other interior footing is also off, as they are 12 feet apart, but it is 9 inches to close to the outside of the house. We have to figure out how this impacts us, as we can't move the posts in the basement - they go all the way up to the roof and the engineering of the whole house would be affected. Also, the sleeve for the water service from the well is not in.

Suffice it to say that things are tense right now. We need to talk to our foundation guy and our architect to see what the impacts are and what can be done to fix it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home