Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

We went up to the land two Saturdays ago, met the excavator and foundation guy, and cut some of the downed wood that is piled in the way between the house and the power line. We showed them where the house should go and where the septic tank is for their reference. They said they wouldn't be up there until the middle of last week, as they had a driveway to do early in the week.

Meanwhile, on Monday morning, I woke up and my right knee hurt. I got up and it seemed OK, so I did my morning regimen - 60 hindu squats, 20 hindu pushups and 20 situps. By the time I got to work, my knee was feeling pretty stiff. By the time I went home and had dinner it was very painful and swollen. I worked from home for the next few days and had the doc-in-a-box look at it. They X-rayed, they ultrasounded, but to no avail. Nothing broken, just a sprained knee. By Friday I was back at work, albeit on crutches. A good omen for building? Getting hurt already is bad, but I am recovering quickly.

I got to work Friday and there was a fresh fax on my desk from the excavator, asking me to call them right away. I called and they told me that they had started digging and hit solid rock, and that they would like to meet us on Saturday to look at it and discuss our options. We set a time and I gave them all of our contact information (they faxed because it was the only contact info they could find for us). Wendy and I worried what we would see and find out the next day, since the conversation had been pretty brief, not really describing anything and emphasizing the words solid rock. We consoled ourselves with the words from the Gospel according to Matthew:

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

Rock ledge in the southwest corner of the cellar hole

We got up there on Saturday to find that they had dug almost the entire hole before finding the rock in one corner. It was ledge for sure, and comes up pretty close to the top of the hole. It is a challenge and will cost us more, but it is not the end of the world. They own their own hammer attachment for their excavator, living and working in our neck of the woods, and said with 4-6 hours of work, they will be able to beat it into submission and continue on their way.

They expect to have the footings in and the wall forms started by the end of this week. Looks like this weekend is likely the last weekend of leisure for a while.

Me gimping about the site, looking at a hole with rocks in it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home