Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Designing the FirstDay

We are going to visit FistDay Cottage in Walpole, NH yet again tomorrow morning. This time we will take our checkbook and put down the $1,000 deposit on our house. This is a symbolic day for us - we will be committing to building a FirstDay Cottage.

I am also excited to talk to David and show him our ideas and see what he suggests for the final design. I have spent a lot of time over the past year thinking about house layouts, but somehow I never put much of that to paper. I took the last two weeks to work on a floor plan, and Wendy and I think we have definitely come up with a good one for the first floor.

Proposed Cape plan 1

Now I guess this is where the tricky part of being an architect comes in. Once you have laid out the ground floor, then you have to work with the mess you have made upstairs. Laying out the second floor took a bit of work (and cursing - 'Why did I put the stairs there? STUPID!!'), and it is not perfect.
Proposed Cape plan 2
This plan embodies a lot of the ideas we liked. I was hoping to explain what is what, and I have had some really cool ideas for details that i want to write down, but it is way late and we have a lot of driving to do tomorrow, so I am gonna hit the sack. I just wanted to put up what we are starting with for posterity before David starts changing our thought patterns with new plans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home