Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Clearance

On Sunday I went up with my father-in-law and we cut down the remainder of the trees. Actually, after the first one, I cut down the trees and he bucked them. His chain was a bit dull and it was taking him longer than it took me to take them down, which gave me a chance to move the bucked wood too.


Our first clearing


There were still a few things left when we left. The stumps were not cut flush. As a matter of fact, as the day went longer, the stumps got higher and higher. Wilson has said he can pull them out if needed with his backhoe. There is one tree hung up, very badly. I misjudged which way it would fall and it got hung way up in the branches of another tree. Wilson will pull it down when he comes with the backhoe. Lastly is the tree next to the road, which Wilson is going to remove for me.

I called the DigSafe folks. They gave me a confirmation number and asked that I wait for positive results from the utilities. The next day they called back to say that there are no underground utilities in that area and that we are clear to dig. I was pretty sure this would be the case, but you have to check, so better safe than sorry.

This weekend we hoped to camp out, but given some special situations at work, it looks like we may just get up there during the day. We need to visit with some neighbors up the road whom we know through mutual friends, and I definitely want to get some of the septic field area cleared or start clearing it at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home