Wood and Stone

A site to track our progress as we build our FirstDay Cottage Canadian house kit. Come on in, get a cup of coffee, set a spell and follow along on our journey or join in if you like. Check back for the weekly update (usually by Wednesday when things are going right) to see what we are currently up to!

Saturday, April 8, 2006

Drive-in

A guy I work with has silver maple he is cutting on his property in order to make way for some utility lines. He has offered me as much as I want for free, so long as I come get it out of his way post haste. Being a thinking guy, I thought, "Sure, we have 9 acres of trees, but they are mostly standing. Here is cut wood, which will have a couple of month to dry, which could make for good campfire wood."

Suffice it to say, Wendy and I went out today and picked up a load of wood in our Toyota Matrix. By time we got to the land and started moving wood, we realized that we have lots of downed wood and lugging wood from another location is pretty pointless, so we stopped right there.

Before leaving, one of our neighbors stopped on the road and introduced himself. He asked if we had anyone to do excavation for us yet and I explained that we are looking. He offered that he has his equipment right there (2 houses down) and could use the work. Before I could say much, he also pointed out that he's 'not kissing anyone's ass, though.' which gave us one of our first tastes of the real local flavor. It also gave us lots of chuckles when reflecting on it later.

We got his number, although he is having knee surgery next week and will need to recover for 6 weeks or so. We need to call him and let him know how big of a drive we want and what type of construction (pea gravel or crushed rock), and he will work on it as soon as he gets back on his feet.

I need to look into a driveway permit in case we need one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sean, Your blog is a nice story about who you and Wendy are and what you expect in owning your own place. I found it down to earth and straight forward and informative from my viewpoint. Keep up the good work.

Dad

June 2, 2006 at 12:55:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home